Prescriptions Charges & Free Prescriptions

The NHS prescription fee is currently £9.65 per medicine supplied.

If you need to take medicines regularly you might be able to reduce the cost of doing so by buying a Prescription Prepayment Certificate which is in effect like a season ticket.  You can apply for a Prescription Prepayment Certificate:

By telephone on 0845 850 0030 – you need to have a credit card or debit card ready.

By completing form FP95 available from:

If you pay a prescription charge whilst waiting for a Prescription Prepayment Certificate to be issued, you can get a refund.

To do this you must get a receipt form from the pharmacist (FP57). You must get the receipt form when you pay for your prescription; you cannot get one later. Fill the receipt form in and send it off to claim the refund.

You have to apply for a refund within three months of paying the prescription charge.

Free Prescriptions

You are entitled to free prescriptions if:

  • You are aged over 60 or under the age of 16 years
  • If you are aged 16, 17 or 18 and in full-time education
  • If you are pregnant, or have delivered a baby within the past 12 months and have an exception certificate (see below)
  • If you or your partner are in receipt of universal credit, income support, income based job seekers allowance, income related employment and support allowance, pension credit.
  • If you have a low income and have form HC2
  • Some war pensioners, if treatment is connected with your pensionable disability
  • If you have one of the following medical conditions and have an exemption certificate
    • You are being treated for cancer
    • An underactive thyroid and require medication
    • A permanent fistula requiring dressings
    • Diabetes mellitus and need medicine to control it
    • Diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
    • Hypoparathyroidism
    • Myasthenia gravis
    • Epilepsy and need medicine to control it
    • A continuing disability that means that you cannot go our without the help of another person.

For a maternity exemption, when you first see your midwife in connection with your pregnancy you will be given a form to post to obtain your exemption certificate.

If you develop one of the medical conditions noted above we can complete a form for you to post to the NHS to obtain your exception certificate.